Nature Club of Mar Sleeva College was set up to create among the students an awareness about the importance of protecting our environment. The club enlists student participation in maintaining a clean and healthy campus by planting more trees, holding seminars on topics related to current environmental problems and conducting study tours to eco-tourism spots.
- To sensitize, motivate and educate students and staff about environment conservation.
- To create awareness among society about environment and related issues.
- Encouraging efforts to protect and conserve biodiversity in vicinage.
- Executing small scale projects within the campus.
- Contributing in environment awareness and conservation drives in collaboration with regional nature clubs and institutes.
Activities under nature club include:
- Motivate the students to keep their surroundings green and clean by undertaking plantation of trees.
- Observing environmentally important days like World Ozone day, World Forestry Day, World water day, World Environment Day etc. by displaying banners.
- Motivate students to imbibe habits and life style for minimum waste generation, separation of waste at source and disposing the waste to the nearest storage point.
- Spreading awareness among the students to minimize the use of plastic bags, not to throw them in public places as they choke drains and sewers, cause water logging and provide breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Organize tree plantation drives, awareness programmes such as Quiz, Essay, Poster competitions regarding various environmental issues.
- Organize Nature Trail in Wild Life Sanctuaries/Parks/Forest areas to know about the Bio-diversity.
The club strives to develop students’ love of nature and adventure and to instill awareness of the environment in the college community. The club has also arranged a nature camp and a trip to Wildlife Sanctuary and other places of interest to students.